SAIC Motor is the largest domestic car manufacturer in China (Fortune 500 ranking #36). SAIC Innovation Center at San Jose, CA is a fully owned subsidiary that engages in research and development for innovative technologies such as autonomous driving and HMI (human machine interfaces).
We are looking for a collaborative, passionate designer to lead the research and concept development in the HMI team. As a Lead UI/UX Designer, you will work alongside program managers and engineers to research, prototype new technologies, and create software-based proof of concepts for future SAIC Motor products.
- Collaborate closely with project leaders, engineers, and other designers to develop the next-generation car user experience.
- Develop a deep understanding of our customer needs, serving as an expert for the HMI team.
- Produce advanced HMI designs, from concept to functional prototypes.
- Create wireframes, high fidelity renderings, visual assets, working prototypes to describe the intended feature.
- Travel to China to present Innovation Center’s work and develop collaborative opportunities with domestic teams.
- Project and resource management of HMI programs. Work with stakeholders across the company to ensure strong alignment in vision.
- Manage design contractors / vendors throughout the duration of HMI-related projects.
- Evangelize design thinking at SAIC Innovation Center.
- Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in HCI, HMI, Design, or related fields.
- 8+ years of experience in UI design or product design in the transportation industry.
- Knowledge in Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, InVision, or similar tools.
- Experience with design language, branding, and materials.
- Some knowledge in 3D modeling and rendering software.
- Project management experience, work closely with other project leads.
- Experience leading a team of designers in all phases of product design.
- Strong portfolio* demonstrating great visual design skills, with attention to detail for typography, color, layout and motion graphics.
*Only candidates with portfolios will be considered. Online portfolio preferred.